Norbar Case Study
Class 1-5 Valves
Sub sea Oil and Gas companies – Overview:
Class 1-7 valves are tested topside with hydraulic or pneumatic tools, they are predominantly ROV tools or bulky pneumatic tools used to actuate valves when equipment is undergoing service/repairs.
Either option is used but hydraulic lines and weight of tooling are an issue.
Norbar was asked to provided a better solution for the class 1-5 range.
Class 1-5 Valves
The solution presented by Norbar for the class 5
PTM with reaction arm – trail fitment
Class 1-5 Valves General features and benefits of products:
- ETO reaction arms can be used on PTS PTM, Remote, Evo 220V or Battery Tool.
- Class 1-5 covered by hand held tool.
- Safe, quick, efficient, and accurate.
- Tooling is lighter no need to suspend tool off of lifting device.
- Tooling is considerably cheaper.
- Tooling can replace old hydraulic tooling eliminating any hydraulic injuries.
- Can be incorporated into a future large EBT being cordless.
- Battery tool can capture a graph showing break open of valve, shown below, this helps determine if any damage has been done to the stem or any inconsistencies.
Benefits for the Client:
Due to the weight reduction, the time to set up has been greatly reduced as these valves can be actuated several times during testing. Each time the old method would require the tool to be hoisted into position.
Besides, tooling is considerably cheaper to purchase and can be hired for the duration of the campaign, depending on the requirements pneumatic or battery options are available.
With the battery option you have the capability to graph the turn of the valve looking for any irregularities and have no air lines in the way helping if it is a test done on a vessel or in a laydown yard.
- Reduced set-up time.
- Reduced risk due to weight reduction.
- No hydraulic lines are needed.
- Saved customer money over time.
Concept in picture for the Class 1-4 range: